Saturday, January 14, 2012

So now what?

Well, as some of you know, Alex's home country added a new requirement to the dossier, a simple page about permission to computerize data or something. They are moving to a digital system--yes, just now, in 2012. It's not that big deal other than finding out before our dossier was sent meant I needed to take another day off work and drive to St Paul, or get the notarized document apostilled via express mail. We're doing the latter. With the MLK holiday mixed in, I hope we'll receive the document with apostille Thursday, and I will beg another family to carry it over. Apostilling isn't expensive here in Minnesota ($5 a document), but with the mailings--$70 total (and that's assuming I don't have to FedEx this sheet overseas.) Wouldn't have been any less to drive there. Phooey.

But as we write the dossier is in a plane over the Atlantic with the Wall family, getting hand-delivered. Thank you!!! That's the biggest piece. (We were also helped by the Evensens, who hand carried our most recent "initial papers"). After we wire a down payment on our facilitation fee, they will start translating in the native language. Usually that takes a week; they are swamped with families there right now so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes longer. We're still hoping that there are no snags and they are able to submit the application and dossier the first week of February.

We also talked to Nancy Smith, who adopted from the same town Alex is in last summer. That was mostly reassuring. We got lots of details about life in his small city and how to manage eating, transportation, money exchanges, down time.... Thanks, Nancy!

Jerry is learning Russian assiduously. The country is home to two, really three, languages, and we've been told this is Alex's language. I think he is doing a really good job--remember, you have to learn a new alphabet too, Cyrillic--but I am skeptical that it will help loads once we're there. I'm pretty good at Spanish but when I'm in the moment of speaking it, I stumble all over the place figuring it out. And that was with years of study. But in terms of this being more for Alex, to help him adjust more easily, I totally get it, and have said I will try to learn more (any) once the dossier is done. Jerry has been using the Pimmler system, some "Russian for talking to children" CDs, and some tutoring with a friend named Elena, from Russia but living in Winona right now. He tried LiveMocha but seems to be moving away from that program.

We're also planning out the bedroom situation (this will require some moving). We want things set up before we go.

Me, I'm trying to research and write the third fourth of the book I received a grant to write this year--I really want to get that done before travel--and while I am pleased with where I am in this project in general, the deadline is pretty anxiety-producing. If we travel in March, this MAY be doable. But it is nose to the grindstone--and frankly, there is only so fast you can do this kind of work. I would appreciate prayers to get it done.

Anyway, I think that's enough of an update, right? Thanks for hanging in there with us, everyone! We'll continue to report as the situation merits! God is in charge!

Peace, Susan

No comments:

Post a Comment