Saturday, February 18, 2012

Day #10...still praying!

Ha! And you thought we were done praying after nine days!

Well, although our novena is over (and thanks to everyone who joined us), of course we're still praying intensely for Alex's well-being. Today we're taking turns going to church to pray, and I will be continuing my fast from sweets until we hear some good news about Alex. (Those of you who know me know that it is no small thing for me to give up my sweet treats! I got very strange looks at our local homeless shelter [the Winona Catholic Worker] the other night when I passed up dessert. "Are you sick?" was one guy's incredulous reaction. Apparently I need to cut back on sweets anyway!)

This time has been a good opportunity for reflection and spiritual growth. We pray for Alex's welfare knowing that prayer is relational, not magic; that God is God, not our personal servant; that there is a larger context for everything that happens that we cannot see or know; that God respects free will (even of government bureaucrats, darn it!); that, in short, our preferred "answer" to prayer -- having the date of our dossier review moved up from March 29 to something more reasonable -- might not happen. Still, we pray...because God is God, but also our Friend and source of life; because being in His presence helps us get through hard times; because when there is nothing we can do, we are led to rely more on Him; because God ALWAYS finds a way to bring something good out of something bad, even if it's not the way we expect -- that's the promise of the Resurrection, isn't it? And it is fun to participate in that trick of grace turning things upside down and inside out and surprising all of us once more.

- Jerry

1 comment:

  1. Love this... it is well said. We continue to pray. I am including him in my rosaries, we love you Alex!

    ReplyDelete