Monday, February 13, 2012

And now it's day #5....

We're over half way on the novena, and the fasting.  We've been contacted by at least 30 people who are praying with us, and a surprising number of you all are fasting from something as well.  We really appreciate it--I can't tell you how much.

As we started the novena/fast (I'm fasting from Diet Coke, which I actually thought could be harder than food--I'm seriously addicted; Jerry is fasting from all sweets), we got a lot of sympathy from friends and family about this turn of events.  And trust me, we wish we were getting set to go to Alex's country and get him!  But at least for me, the response to offer a novena and fast has been incredibly peaceful.  As I was telling a friend, this entire process has felt like a spiritual battle.  On the one hand, this has been one of the most obviously God-directed set of events in our lives as a married couple.  I could go on and on...Jerry "heard" the same message from God that I heard, which I had not shared with him, the financing fell into place within a day, we had a setback at the front end that cost us $150 and the next day, a person walks up to me and offers us $150 for the adoption costs.  Many, many things like that.  On the other hand...and this has been less the case with us, but still...it is striking how many of those adopting these kids will talk about spiritual warfare and quickly.  Weird, sad things happen to discourage these parents...such as families disowning them (really), lightning striking the house and killing the power the evening a family decides to commit (really), a family's home gets robbed and they steal the passports a month before leaving, etc.... It's almost a running joke, or warning, or both.  Expect weird things to happen, because there is something out there that is perfectly happy with the reality that there are vulnerable children being neglected in institutions.

So why do I share all this?  It occurred to me that if this is indeed more a spiritual battle than anything else, the weapons given to us in all such battles are prayer and fasting. Period.  Fight with those weapons and you are done.  After all, there is nothing else you can likely do. 

It also intrigues me that I had to stop drinking massive amounts of caffeine a few years ago, and I had to stop cold turkey.  It. was. miserable.  I had the worst possible headache for a good week. This made me nervous about this upcoming fast (and I did add one caffeine drink in the morning for these nine days, so I'd avoid the headache and be tolerable to live with--I was already really sick when beginning this).  Well, this fast has been very easy by comparison, with only a small headache the first night.  Otherwise, nothing.  Honestly, it's been a joy.  I've been happy to be doing this.  Do I want the caffeine?  Yes.  Am I happy to give it up for Alex?  Yes!  The relative ease of the fast underlines for me that this was God's intention for us, and that prayer and fasting are where we need to be.

So this is in God's hands, and it always has been.  It's a good place.  We live in hope.

***

I also wanted to share that I talked with another person who has some knowledge (admittedly secondhand) of Alex's institution, and she said that while it is a basic care institution, it is not too bad as they go, and she didn't think neglect was going on.  It's not much to go on, and it's clear he still needs to get out--but I was glad to hear that little bit, since that meshes with the information we were initially told as well.

Keep praying!  Thank you again, everyone.

--Susan

2 comments:

  1. I love how you are leaning on the Lord to get through this. So glad he is making the fast relatively painless for you and that he is giving you peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful...God is listening and we are all gaining grace through your faith

    ReplyDelete