Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A new experience every day

Trying out a big kid's swing.
Alex is really enjoying his first few days at home, aside from the occasional frustration of not being understood. I continue to be completely exhausted from the intensity of our first few days, and in fact today went into urgent care, where I was prescribed an anti-anxiety med; I have a followup with another doctor tomorrow for further evaluation. No, I don't have a history of anything like this, and I don't know where this is coming from, except that maybe the stress of this trip and the adjustment have been more than I expected. We have a friend coming to stay with us for a few days beginning Thursday so we can get our feet under us (we haven't even had time to unpack), and we continue to receive very generous support from many, many people. Thanks to all of you who have brought meals via our mealtrain.com signup sheet...they have been extremely appreciated, and we hope to get personal thank you notes to you sometime down the road.

Alex has a new experience almost every day home. Today it was playing in a sandbox and getting D-I-R-T-Y, good and DIRTY, like any normal five-year-old kid! He played in there for about an hour. I also took him on a quick trip to Fleet Farm, where he was thrilled and surprised by the oscillating fan display. He takes delight in the simple things -- eating a peach or hot dog really gets him going!

He had his first pediatrics appointment on Monday, weighing in at 25 pounds. Tomorrow he goes to Gundersen Lutheran for a comprehensive motor mobility and neurological development assessment. He will be seeing lots of doctors all morning, and getting his first OT and PT referrals. More new stuff to come!

Alex loves reading the phone book before breakfast...no joke, he does.

Getting DIRTY in the sandbox.

Toward the end of the hour in the sandbox...including an attempt at eating the sand.

"Yeah, so while you're changing my diaper...ya got a flat screen TV around here? ESPN, maybe?"

In front of the fan display.

Can't really swing too much....

A fun bath at the end of a busy day.

13 comments:

  1. Great Pix! Thanks so much for the updates. Alex is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those pics are priceless! I love the one of him on the changing table and the one of him in front of the fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Complete exhaustion plus upheaval (even good upheaval) can make anybody emotionally labile. Just take it one day at a time. Things smooth out with time...and look ever so much more manageable with rest. You are not the only family to have a rough adjustment period. Its OK to ask for help. That's what friends and family and church and neighbors are there for--community. After thirty days in country you're probably dealing with significant jet lag on top of everything else. Melatonin works best if you take it a half hour before you intend to lay down in bed and don't use anything with a screen (TV, phone, etc) within an hour of bedtime. It's also best gradually turn down the lights over the last 30min to 1h before bed. Hope the sleep deprivation resolves quickly. I see Alex blooming already. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words, indeed. The International Adoption Center at the U of M has been incredibly supportive...and mentioned that this is not uncommon for returning families.

      Delete
  4. You guys are in my prayers! Alex looks great,by the way. The picture with the phone book cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 25 lbs! My 19 month old son weighs over 25 lb!

    Praise Jesus that these children somehow find the strength to fight and cling to life until they are adopted. I love Alex's happy smile, the world couldn't crush his amazing spirit :)

    Prayers for your family and Alex.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the update. My prayers are with your family as you adjust. I'm glad you are seeking help throughout this overwhelming time. I love your honesty too. I can't get over how teeny Alex is and can't wait to see him grow with your care.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can tell you are doing an amazing, AMAZING job! I know it's hard, stressful and so intense. It WILL get better and easier as time goes on. It may take several months, but you will eventually feel normal again. You're doing GREAT! Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to thank you for sharing this journey with us. I check here every day, sometimes several times a day just to see what's going on. You don't know me - I found your blog here from your Ironic Catholic blog. But I wanted to comment just to say that reading your posts gives me prayer time with your family every day. Thank you for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prayers! Wonderful how something like this brings people, even stangers, closer together....

      Delete
  9. It's so good to see these updates- you are doing a great job!!!!!!! We continue to pray for all of you, and we hope to see more pics of Alex reading the phone book (so awesome!)! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, so cute. Prayers for your transition!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Susan, I'm so happy for you, Alex and Jerry, and of course your kids, that you are home. I hope you have the rest of the Summer off before school starts again. You all continue to be in my prayers.

    I'll drop a note off to some of your pals to let them know you're back, suggesting that they send greetings on the web page.

    Ray

    ReplyDelete